Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Surviving--Two Under Two


Phew! Here we are four weeks in as a family of four and I'm happy to say that we are surviving! Our house is a mess, showers and baths don't always happen, the piles of laundry and dishes are mountainous, we can barely hold our eyes open and our boys are often screaming at the same time (especially between the hours of 5pm-7pm; dinner anyone?). Frazzled--absolutely! But, we are alive and finding ways to maintain our sanity and doing our best to cherish and not wish these hard newborn days away. We are also trying to remember what love is and are trying to continue to love each other and our boys well.

We are surviving because...

-Our family is amazing: Yesterday was the first day I was home alone with both boys. Our family has loved us and come to our rescue more that we could imagine.
-Our friends are incredible: We've been showered with diapers and meals. In fact, I will not have to cook a single dinner this week.
-Cars and Sesame Street are God-sends: Truly, I'm convinced of this. Nursing and/our pumping with a 16 month old running around is nearly impossible and can actually be quite dangerous (Isaac was whacked upside the head w/ kitchen tongs during one such time). I believe we are on our 40th episode of Sesame Street and I can't even tell you how many times I've seen Cars. This coming from a house that rarely turns on the t.v.
-Chocolate: We have consumed lots of brownies, M&Ms, etc. and it helps.
-We have Sound Machines: Our upstairs sounds a lot like a rainforest but they keep sleeping boys sleeping.
-Our car stereo can get LOUD: We have been blessed with two little carseat haters. Just this afternoon I drove out of Noah's school parking lot, windows down, two screaming children in tow, and the radio blaring as loud as it could go. While I think at least one of them stopped screaming on the way home, it didn't really matter b/c I was groovin'.
-Swaddle Blankets--REALLY BIG Swaddle Blankets: We definitely believe in swaddling and have calmed many a screaming baby burrito using this technique. Noah even asked to be swaddled the other day. Yes, I managed to successfully swaddle him and carry him upstairs for his nap. It was hysterical and I should have (but didn't) taken a picture.
-Of GRACE: Grace from our children who wake up every morning loving us and trusting us to take care of them regardless of the number of times we screwed up the day before. Grace from my husband who continues to forgive me when I lose my patience or when I growl not-so-nice things at midnight and then again at 3am and then again at 6am. Grace from my Heavenly Father whose strength is made perfect in my weakness. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
-Because of Love: I have a husband who loves me and lives and believes that:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (1 Corinthians 13:4-7)

How we are doing dishes these days.

Pumping w/ a 16 month old.

Proof that our house is a mess.

A not-so-current picture of Isaac. We will get there...one day!





No comments:

Post a Comment